Friday, July 22, 2011

Want a touring gig with a Artist or band? Here's how it works.


A quick chat with road warrior and pro musician Andy Sheridan.


How did you get into music?

My life has revolved around music from an early age. I started taking piano lessons classically at age 4. Both my parents are musicians. Guitar came in high school. I was just trying to be cool! Piano wasn't cool to me then, I hated it actually when I was younger but my parents made me stick it out. Boy am I glad they did!

Were you in bands growing up?

Yeah I was in a couple bands. At the time I had my own original music, I was playing at church and I was also playing in a couple other bands throughout high school. My dreams starting focusing around music when I was in these bands. I thought to myself, well, we are making a couple dollars here and there, why not try and make a career out of it? 

Did you attend school?

One year at Kentucky Christian university as a church music major, I thought it'd be a good way to incorporate music an get paid for it...turns out that's not the greatest attitude to have towards church music. Through that year I slowly began to realize that me being in the middle of nowhere Kentucky wasn't helping my musical dreams to become a reality. So I decided to transfer, although I know why I went to KCU, that's where I met my wife! Decide to transfer to Belmont University in Nashville. Music city had to have something to offer me. Even though I still wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life, I started school as a commercial piano major. I took lessons from guys that really kicked my butt. The good part of this was it was reassurance that I was doing the right thing. After 2 and 1/2 years of classes I got the gig with Phil Vassar.  
So I "postponed" my education. :) 


“It's not really about who you know, it's about who knows you”. 


How did you start playing for Phil Vassar?

During my time at Belmont I worked as a front of house engineer for a dinner theater where my wife worked. I met the husband of a gal who was in one of the productions with my wife. He was the fiddle player for Phil at the time. He introduced me to Phil and the gang one evening and I ended up doing an internship with Phil that summer. Lots of sweat, long days and hot trailers later, I was offered the full time position as acoustic guitar player and tech. Hard work actually does pay off. 

What are a few tips for the person trying to get a gig playing for some one?

Meet anyone and everyone that plays. Whether it's in town, down on lower Broadway or on the road full time, make connections. You have to shamelessly self promote yourself. It's not really about who you know, it's about who knows you. 

How does a typical Nashville band tryout work?

The band leader of the band or artist you are auditioning for will contact you and let you know which songs they want to hear during the audition. And depending on what capacity you are trying to fill, guitar, keys, bgvs..., you have a short amount of time to learn the tunes. The key here is memorization. They don’t want you to be reading charts when you audition. It looks bad on your part. Then they will set a date for the audition, sometimes only a few days away, then you show up, LOOKING THE PART, can't emphasize this enough. Look professional when you show up. Play the songs, and then typically within a few days they will let you know their decision. 
It could also happen a bit differently though, if the artist is in a bind, someone quit/was fired unexpectedly, they might bring you out for a few shows and that will be your audition. Tryout under fire!

How do you stay healthy on the road?

Staying healthy is one of the hardest parts. But it's all about a routine. Get in the habit of waking up early for a run, or walk, or try and hit the local YMCA or gym. Also, partner up. Find someone who wants to stay healthy too. It's much easy when you have other people to motivate you and keep you accountable. 

Other tips? 
I have always said/heard that your musicianship is only about 50% of you keeping your gig. You have to have a golden work ethic and a good attitude. Otherwise someone who is in line for your gig will replace you in a heartbeat. And that's the other thing as well, NEVER forget that there are thousands of other people that do what you do and don't have a gig. So keep yourself around by staying on top of the music, playing good shows and being a good hang. Remember, this won't last forever, so enjoy every show, long bus ride, and seeing new places. Practicing doesn't hurt either...  ;-) 

1 comment:

  1. Hearing other peoples stories help ALOT. I know that I'm not alone and it helps give some perspective. He was stuck in Kentucky, I am stuck in Western Kansas at Fort Hays State University studying music technology. I started learning piano early on then learned guitar in seventh grade and did most of my live playing in my youth band from seventh to 12th and my church praise team from 10th to 12th. I was in a couple bands that helped me decide that there is nothing I want to do more then music. I'm right in the middle though, the rut that I think every musician gets stuck in eventually. I'm working a part time job at McDonald's, going to college, and yet still trying to find time to work on my music. I need to give one up, and I need to move to a new place, but both are major decisions that are hard to make even when you know what you need to do. One thing I'm learning that is helping me though is that when you have time you HAVE to view it as invaluable. When I have a day off that is at least a good 5 hour writing session for an EP, or when I don't have to be to work until 1pm that is a perfect chance to wake up at 8 eat a good breakfast, take a shower or whatever wakes me up, and then have a couple hours to fix a couple parts in some songs. Its all about time management and using your time wisely. Its about responsibility which is something any 19 year old is in the process of learning already (especially those thrust into a college career where they have to wake THEMSELVES up, and make THEMSELVES go to class.) This article really helped me get some perspective. THANKS FOR POSTING THIS!

    ReplyDelete